Thursday 24 September 2009

Hasisi Park

I found a wonderful flickr, well in fact, I found two - one being Hasisi Park and the other Jackson Eaton.

They both share in their photostreams a really intense relationship (between the two) wherein Eaton, a newcomer to Korea, teaching English, meets Hasisi - falls in love - and stays in Korea for three years. It's pretty eye opening- Hasisi takes lovely, if sometimes a little strange, self portraits alongside everyday snapshops. Jackson shows a more intimate insight into their loving relationship, it's really quite captivating!

I think Jackson Eaton is exhibiting his photos in Australia at the moment--
oh +ve by jackson eaton.
oh +ve is a love story. In 2006 I moved to South Korea to teach English; after only a few weeks, I met Hasisi Park. These photographs document the next three years. They are not only a story of love but also of the search for belonging in a foreign culture, and the difficulties associated with needing one thing to constitute your ‘everything’.

Most of the images that make up this exhibition were originally part of a joint project entitled Jackson and Hasisi Were Never Married. In late 2008, we self-published a book of these photographs and intended to have a show. We broke up a few months later. Truthfully rather than playfully looking back on the relationship, I titled this exhibition oh +ve, a name that suggests two opposing yet equally futile forms of finding answers in relationships. It cynically refers to both the self-directed method of maintaining a positive attitude and the deterministic theory of blood type compatibility. Not knowing my own blood type, Hasisi would tell me that if I were not of type B then we would never get married. O+ is the most common type in Australia. With this exhibition I aim to present some fragments of our intimate, fragile, comical and passionate narrative and invite viewers to piece them together and explore the belief that ‘all you need is love’



A few photos I quite like:

















In other news, I finally have a student bank account. Shame about getting the Student Finance money.. I gave up holding the phone after 27 minutes of particularly shitty music.

No comments: